The foods you choose play an important role in managing your health. Nutrition Counseling Services is here to help. Medical nutrition therapy is one-on-one nutrition counseling that lends support to other medical treatments. Nutrition Counseling assists you in developing and maintaining your health care goals and provides an individualized plan tailored to your lifestyle.
Registered dietitians at Skagit Regional Health offer personal nutrition counseling and diet education for children and adults. People visit our dietitians for many reasons, including:
- Bariatric surgery
- Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Celiac disease
- Digestive disorders
- Food allergies
- Gestational diabetes
- High blood pressure / Hypertension
- High cholesterol
- Kidney disease
- Prediabetes / Metabolic Syndrome
- Weight management
Please note that you must have a referral from your provider, regardless of the reason you would like to meet with a dietitian for medical nutrition therapy.
In addition, please call your insurance provider to see if medical nutrition therapy is a covered benefit or if you need a pre-authorization before you visit. Skagit Regional Health also provides sliding scale financial plans.
About Our Experts
Our registered dietitians will help you stay motivated and focused on results. Our dietitians provide accurate, up-to-date nutrition advice and help you gain an understanding of your individual nutritional needs. You will receive:
- An in-depth nutrition assessment
- Diet analysis
- Nutrition education and strategy planning
Our Registered Dietitians:
- Are accredited by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Are Certified Diabetes Educators (CDE’s), accredited by the National Certification Board for Diabetes Educators
- Have been awarded the Certificate of Training in Adult Weight Management by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
How to Make an Appointment and Contact Us
Appointments are available Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Please call 360-814-8329 for information and appointments. Referrals may be faxed to 360-814-5515.
Our office is located at Skagit Valley Hospital, 1415 E. Kincaid in Mount Vernon.
Preparing for Your Visit
Once your physician has faxed the referral to our office, the scheduler will call you to schedule your appointment.
Please bring the following items to your nutrition therapy appointment:
- List of medications and nutritional supplements you take currently
- Any pertinent lab test results
- Medical insurance information
- Food diary and/or blood sugar records that you have been keeping
Medicare Part B Beneficiaries
Our registered dietitians are Medicare providers;
- Medicare Part B beneficiaries with a diagnosis of diabetes or non-dialysis kidney disease are eligible for medical nutrition therapy; Medicare Part B reimburses three hours of nutrition therapy for the first year and two hours each year thereafter.
Find out more about our Diabetes Education Program.