Dominee Roehm, RN receives DAISY Award for Extraordinary Nurses
This award is presented to nurses who have been nominated as an outstanding role model for their clinical skill and providing compassionate care.
Nurses who receive DAISY Awards consistently meet the following criteria:
- Interacts with patients, families and staff in a professional and personable manner.
- Demonstrates excellent medical evaluation skills.
- Demonstrates excellent decision-making capabilities.
- Provides a consistent focus on meeting patient and family goals.
- Is thoughtful and caring in all situations.
- Works well with all members of the healthcare team.
- Demonstrates consistent use of the nursing process in patient care.
- Excellent educator of patients and their families.
- Generates enthusiasm and energy towards meeting the challenges of nursing.
Read below the story included in the nomination form:
My son was having his second ER visit in just over a month due to illness. His last visit he was even admitted for five days. He was very scared about what might happen to him and of course about "the pokes." Disney was the nurse assigned to him that afternoon. She came in to meet us and start his IV. She talked to him on his level and made him feel comfortable. She offered him a popsicle after the IV start for being brave but he does not like those. She asked what he liked instead and he told her "pink cookies." She was able to get his IV in and carried on with his care that afternoon. I had left the room to use the restroom and she met me in the hallway with four pink Crumbl cookies. I was totally taken aback by her gesture. I brought them in the room to him and he smiled from ear to ear. He hadn't eaten much of anything for about four days let alone smiled much because he felt so poorly. He immediately started eating on his delicious cookie. It was more than I would ever expect from a nurse especially one working in the ER on a very busy shift.
Congratulations, Disney! Thank you for your hard work and commitment to providing quality and compassionate care to our patients. We are proud to have you on our team at Skagit Regional Health!
To learn more about the DAISY Award® for Extraordinary Nurses and to nominate an inpatient nurse, visit SkagitRegionalHealth.org/DAISY.