Amanda Bedker, RN, BSN, receives DAISY Award for Extraordinary Nurses
The DAISY Award® for Extraordinary Nurses recognizes and honors the super-human work nurses do for patients and families every day. This award is presented to nurses who have been nominated as an outstanding role model for their clinical skill and providing compassionate care.
Nurses who receive DAISY awards consistently meet the following criteria:
- Demonstrates excellent medical evaluation skills.
- Demonstrates excellent decision-making capabilities.
- Interacts with patients, families and staff in a professional and personable manner.
- Provides a consistent focus on meeting patient and family goals.
- Is thoughtful and caring in all situations.
- Works well with all members of the healthcare team.
- Demonstrates consistent use of the nursing process in patient care.
- Excellent educator of patients and their families.
- Generates enthusiasm and energy towards meeting the challenges of nursing.
Read the story included on Amanda's nomination form: “Amanda goes above and beyond every day for patients in the Endoscopy Department. I’m blown away every day by how much time she takes but still efficiently gets her job done without making the patient feel rushed. Even in high-stress situations or when she is not having the best day, she easily puts it aside and pushes through to benefit the whole team.
Recently, she had a patient with a traumatic brain injury who had some memory loss. She (and another nurse) called the patient every day to help go over prep instructions. Due to his injury, it was a long conversation every day repeating the same things. That is going way above and beyond for our patients.
Another example is with the navigational bronchs the work is more complex and fast-paced. She is always anticipating and one step ahead of the game, which makes the cases go so much easier, especially in high-risk situations. There is a confidence and presence she just radiates and I appreciate every day when I get to work with Amanda because I know regardless of the day’s caseload or staffing, we will have a good day because of her attitude and drive for her job.”
Click here to see Amanda's DAISY Award® for Extraordinary Nurses spotlight.